Thursday, February 18, 2010

Remember When You Had Your First Olympic Moment


It's Canadas moment right now, the Vancouver Winter Olympics 2010. Moments are just waiting to be made. Canadians are tuning in to get those chills from watching their fellow country men compete against the world to become the best in the world, to make their nation proud. And so far we should be proud not just of Alex Bilodeau and Maelle Ricker, although their wins may be the most triumphant, but all of our Canadian athletes. I can only dream to have the talent that they possess. Perhaps thats why we invest so much emotion into our athletes because they are able to do what most can not.
As for memorable moments this olympics I think that most of us are waiting and crossing our fingers for a Gold from our prized mens hockey team.
I bet many of you have an olympic moment that stands out in your mind. The one that you hope to relive when you watch every two years. I have one in particular that gave me chills, brought me to tears, and made me jump from my seat in anticipation. It was magical.
I am bringing you back 10 years to the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney. Canada, generally does not do well in the Summer Olympics but thats what makes it so much more special when we do win gold.


Meet Simon Whitfield the man to whom I owe my moment.
Triathalons have always been my favourite sport to watch. So much time and dedication goes into preparing for a race. My three favourite individual sports mixed into one long day of pain, endurance, determination and fun...hopefully,

Whitfield had been in a bike pileup early in the race, his olympics dreams seemingly over. Him and 24 triatheletes had crashed. But Simon he was determined and had his best sport in front of him... his run. The leaders coming into the run began to slow due to the heat of the Australlian sun, dehydration and fatigue set into their bodies. It was between 4 men, all the best in the world. But Whitfield had more determination than any. The four men fought for medal standing, pounding the pavement step by step challenging the outcome of the race. German Mouskavich lead heading into downtown Sidney but just as the runners reached the view of the Sindney Opera house with minutes to the finish line, Canadian Whitfield starts to challenge his lead. Mouskavich slows as Whitfield excels. At this point my mom JUMPS of the couch. GOOOOOO SIMON.... GOOOOOOOOOO SIMON and I join...my heart pounding ,my smile widening. The crowd in Sidney joins our cheers. People line the blue carpet waving their hands and flags. All the way to the end we were with him, crossing our fingers, screaming his name. Simon fist pumps over the finish line and my eyes are filed with tears, a final GO SIMON. Simon Whitfield has triumphed, he has won gold, he is Canadian. He is my hero.
Simons main goal for the Sydney Olympics: " I just want to hear the Canadian National Anthem". I cant help but smile even still for him. Did I mention it was the first time the triathalon was ever present at the Olympics.

If you ever come across a triathalon on TV specifically on NBC watch it. The Americans do a great job at finding inspiration in athletes (as much as I hate to admit).

You should watch Simons triumphant win here.
And I want to hear about your favourite Olympic moments.

Cheers and happy Olympic watching. GO CANADA!




4 comments:

  1. I remember Jean Luc Brassard winning gold in Lillehammer. I can still picture the headline the next day that quoted him: "I can fly!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first moment would be the torch relay in 1988. I remember my dad taking me to see it. We lived in a small town so seeing the amount of people that came out was great. They say its a once in a lifetime experience so I guess I am lucky and have experience the torch twice. My daughter really enjoyed going to see the torch this time. It is all about making memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats awesome Alex.

    I love that you enjoy watching Triathlons so much! It was Simon Whitfield's gold medal at the 2000 Olympics that made me start racing triathlons! He is my hero too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Brett, my first Olympic moment ever would be the torch relay in 1988, although I can't entirely remember it. After attending this years Olympic games I now have endless memories and stories that I will be able to start by saying "remember when," for years and years to come. I think I'm still trying to find the words to describe the feelings and experiences of being there but what I know in my head will never truly be able to be conveyed through words.

    ReplyDelete